We strongly believe that fresh content is the key to web marketing success. Our customers are the best source for new content, so we make it easy for them to edit their sites. We searched long and hard for a Content Management System (CMS) that was:
- As easy as editing a word-processing document
- Search engine friendly, with plain language page names
- Able to maintain the designed look and feel
- Secure and resistant to attacks by hackers.
- Flexible, easily allowing new content and sections without requiring a redesign
- Not proprietary, but instead is based upon readily-available technologies available from multiple providers
- Portable across a number of web hosts
- Able to delegate responsibility to authors and editors in definable areas while still maintaining overall control of the system
- Able to have both public and private content
- Actively and professionally maintained
Since 2005 we have recommended the free, open source TYPO3 CMS. TYPO3 is an established CMS with active use in North America, Europe and around the world. It is enterprise class, capable of handling sites with thousands of pages, yet is intuitive and easy for individual content providers to use. Tens of thousands of sites have been built with TYPO3, ranging from large scale commercial sites to those for non-profit and governmental organizations. Details and examples may be seen at the web sites TYPO3.com and TYPO3.org.
The system has developed over time, and is now on version 7.6 LTS. LTS = Long Term Support. That means that the system will have bug fixes and security fixes through November 2018.
In other words, it is a proven product producing professional results with a large international support community in both commercial and non-profit sectors.
TYPO3 is built upon open source components that are also well-supported. It will operate on a variety of servers and is published using the GPL license. Content, structure and design are entirely separate, so in the future our client can change the look of the site just by changing its template. The entire site will flow into the new look automatically.
Thousands of open source plug-in modules have been developed for TYPO3 and are readily available under the same GPL license. These include:
- Link farms
- Banner advertising management
- E commerce systems
- News Articles
- Newsletter mailing
- Photo galleries
- Document download systems
- and more